SC - SC--Forget the Philosophy and COOK, Dammit :)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jun 6 06:43:04 PDT 1997

Aoife, busy getting ready for Aethelmarc Crown (cooking, that is, not
fighting), wrote:

> I once read an MS that gave instuctions to "carve a radish in manner of a
> rose" or some wording remarkably similar. I can't find it now, but seem to
> remember it was French. Anyone remember this? Anyone else come across
> directions to  carve vegetables to look like other things? I'm wondering how
> old the garnishing art is. I'm not talking about sweets and sotelties here,
> just veggies and fruits.

The specific reference you mention is one I haven't run across in
period. I do know that the idea of a sallet as a showpiece, with the
ingredients kept separate and arranged by color, in specific cuts and
shapes, goes at least as far back as 16th century England. You'll find
such references in Dawson (e.g. Hippes in five partes like an Oken
leafe, sliced carrots laid out as a fleur-de-lys), and though 17th
century, Markham as well, I believe .

The edible garnish goes considerably further back than those sources,
with the various sugared seed, fried onion/almond, pomegranite kernel,
and flower garnishes for pottages. Then, of course, you have your
ubiquitous Saracen's Head done in pistacchio nuts ;  ).

Then you have actual subtleties, which often contained, or consisted of,
an edible garnish.

I SUSPECT that the carved veg idea, at least in the West, may date from
somebody like Careme (c. 1800). He had been  an architecture student
before apprenticing to a pastry cook, and used to spend his copious
(ha!) free time at the library where the architecture books were kept,
and used to bring back sketches for the boss to translate into cakes.
When he eventually became a chef de cuisine, he carried the art form
into his new medium.

How much this actually helps you I couldn't say, but... .

Adamantius, thinking he was on a soapbox but getting his mouth washed
out with soap, instead