SC - SC--Forget the Philosophy and COOK, Dammit :)

Volker AElfwine volker_aelfwine at juno.com
Fri Jun 6 10:31:31 PDT 1997

>that carving was part of a squire's education. She indicates that many
books were written to serve such instruction. The carver was not only to
carve, but to taste, and to know which sauces were to be served with each
dish. The verb for "to carve" was different for each meat served...
rabbits were unlaced, crabs tamed,
peacocks disfigured and hens spoiled!>

	It was my understanding that the carving refered to the squire's
dishing out meat and serving at the feasts.  Forgive me for using a
source that is not that period, but in Bulfinch's "The Age Of Chivalry"
he mentions on the training of squires that "They were called pages,
valets, or varlets, and their office  was to carve, to wait at table, and
to preform other menial services, which were not then considered
humiliationg..."  (-: Maybee we should have the red belts serve our
feasts :-)  The title I believe would be like head server, who would
carve the meat, dish out portions, taste the foods, etc.
	As a place of honor for such a person, part of the legend of
Prometheus comes to mind, when the gods invited the humans to feast with
them, and Prometheus was asked to carve.  Knowing the gods to take all
the best portions, he wrapped the bones and gristle in a layer of fat,
and hid the good portions of meat under the hide.  The gods then took
what they thought to be the good portions, and were enraged to find
themselves tricked... but that leads to another tale, another time.

	In service to my heart,

		Volker AElfwine
		Volker_AElfwine at Juno.com