SC - Berry Syrups (Was: Re: sc-liqeurs)

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Jun 6 15:21:32 PDT 1997

Aoife asks:

>On a related topic (extracting flavors for drinks), has anyone tried those
>fruit vinegar drinks? It's a wonderful combination--beries and vinegar and
>sugar. I made a Raspberry Vinegar syrup, Black Raspberry Vinegar syrup, and
>a Blueberry Vinegar syrup for that Known World Pennsic Party that was held
>in front of the Store next to Chatelaine's Point 2 years ago.

Aoife---cursing the guys who trimmed the trees away from the electric lines
>and trampled the wild raspberry canes in the process.

This sounds interesting; do you have a period source for this? It sounds a
little like the Islamic sekanjabin (sugar, water, vinegar, and mint).  We
have a period source (the anonymous Andalusian cookbook) for sekanjabin
which lacks the mint; the same cookbook has a whole lot of other syrup
recipes.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook