SC - Will's-Fowtes of Almand Mylke

Uduido at aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Mon Jun 9 11:02:52 PDT 1997

Fowtes of Almand Mylke

 Original recipe from FC 88.
	Take erbes; boil hem, hewe hem, and grynd hem smale; and drawe hem up with
water.  Set hem on the fire and seeþ the jowtes with the mylke; and cast
þeron sugar and salt. & serve it forth

Translation by Lord Ras:
	Take herbs, boil them, cut them and grind them small; and draw them up with
water. Set them on the fire and seep the joutes (?) with the milk; and cast
thereon sugar and salt and serve it forth.

Redaction:
	Lord Thorstein sent this recipe to me. It is someone else’s redaction whom
he did not specify. I expanded the recipe to serve 175 and made a few minor
changes such as thickening with rice flour instead of cornstarch. Personally,
I would have not redacted it this way but I left it stand.
	[My redaction, which I think is closer to the original intent, would be to
chop the
herbs( a mixture of lettuce, spinach and chard), boil them in water until
they were tender. Rinse them. Put them in a pan. Add a small amount of the
seasonings and milk to barely cover. Heat until the milk is hot but not
boiling. And serve.]
 ——————
Serves 175.

8 lbs. Fresh spinach
58 scallions, cut in pieces
3 bunches parsley, chopped in large pcs.
88 cups water
8 tblsp salt (or to taste)
5 tblsp sugar
4 lbs ground almonds plus 16 tblsp Rice flour, dissolved in 32 tblsp  cold
water

	Bring the water to a boil, adding salt; put in spinach and scallions and
boil about 4 minutes;  then add parsley, boil for a few more seconds, then
remove from heat. Drain, reserving; the cooking water.  Chop the vegetables
very fine - or put in blender with the almonds and a little of the cooking
water and blend.  Stir together greens, almonds, and all the reserved water,
adding the sugar, in the saucepan, and return to the stove.  Simmer together
gently for about five minutes.  Then stir in rice flour dissolved in water,
and simmer for a few minutes before serving.

Variations:
	1- The soup may be chilled and served cold.
	2- Watercress, sorrel, or other greens may be substituted for the spinach.
 A few
leaves of fresh herbs from the garden, if you are lucky to have some, would
be a welcome addition, providing they are not added in such strength as to
overwhelm the delicate flavor of the basic soup.  (For this reason, dried
herbs may be a bit overwhelming if not used with a light hand.)

Lord Ras