SC - RE- Planning a Feast

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Mon Jun 9 13:35:39 PDT 1997

Earlier today (Monday, June 9) Kateryn de Develyn mentions a planned
feast for a Crown Tourney in December:

Mon Amie - Honey custard

Sounds interesting. Recipe, please?
<<<<

Third Course: Italian

Flesh of Veal - Platina  (beef rolls with marjoram/parsley)
Armored Turnips - Platina   (turnips baked in cheese)
Saracen (Heathen) Peas - Das Guter Speise  (peas, honey, ginger,
	cinnamon/nutmeg)

I thought this source was German not Italian. Or are you assuming
that this dish was more widespread?
<<<<<

Pastry which they call Canisiones - Platina  (almond stuffed pastry)

I'd like the recipe for this one, too.
<<<<<

Question, I have had armored turnips before, but am not sure how
available/costly they will be for a december feast. Would it be okay to
substitute potatoes if the turnips turn out to be too scarce or too
expensive?

Has anyone else tasted the armored turnips before? Do you think that
substituting potatoes would make a very big taste/texture difference?  Or,
would I be better off looking for a different recipe altogether?  Like an
herbed cheese pie or something?

I don't think the taste would be the same if you substituted potatos. I
would prefer potatos myself. I don't like the taste of turnips. Too
bitter or whatever. However, I will eat more of this dish than I will
of other turnip dishes and I don't think potatos are appropriate for
SCA feasts.

Just a few of my thoughts. I would attend this feast if you were
doing it down here in Ansteorra.

Stefan li Rous