SC - Early 'Celtic

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Jun 13 17:49:02 PDT 1997

At 8:45 AM -0600 6/11/97, Melissa Martines wrote:
>     I was just wondering if anyone had any good primary sources for early
>     Celtic food?  (like 600 A.D.).  I'm working on a coronation feast menu
>     for some really early celts (English Celts, by the way).
>
>     morgan
>     melissa.martines at corpfamily.com

No.  But for a good secondary source. try _Food and Drink in Britain_, C.
Anne Wilson.  Each chapter covers a food (meat or milk/cheese/butter or
whatever) organized into sections by period: prehistoric, Roman, and early
medieval are the parts you would need.  There is, for example, a really
neat description (from archeaological evidence in Ireland, actually tried
out by the archaeologists) of how to do "a roasting and a boiling" of meat
with no kitchen facilities other than stones, water, and a little wood.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook