SC - Gulyas Revisited

Varju at aol.com Varju at aol.com
Mon Jun 16 07:42:24 PDT 1997

I still agree with Adamntius that gulyas may be older than it seems, since at
its base it is a meat stew, and there are similar items that are and have
been eaten by nomadic peoples everywhere.  I would guess that when paprika
became the seasoning of choice it was included into the recipe.

One of the things i have always found curious about paprika is how it has
become a staple of Hungarian cuisine.  When I was in Hungary I discovered it
is on the table rather than black pepper, it comes as a paste in a tube and
is spread on bread and is sprinkled on lard that has been spread on bread.
 (Heart healthy Hungarian food isn't)  An old Hungarian saying is "The
Hungarians will eat bread with bread."  I think they will also eat paprika
with paprika.

Noemi