SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #165

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at postoffice.ptd.net
Mon Jun 16 14:08:50 PDT 1997

>From: GARNER at admin.hnc.edu
>Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 12:11:45 -0700
>Subject: SC - Has anyone heard of a beverage called "perry?"
>
>The following is an excerpt from Chapter 1 of _Medieval People_ by
>Eileen Power:
>
>	 Charlemagne ordered his stewards each to have in his
>	 district "good workmen, namely, blacksmiths, goldsmiths,
>	 silversmiths, shoemakers, turners, carpenters, sword-
>	 makers, fishermen, foilers, soapmakers, men who know how
>	 to make beer, cider, perry and all other kinds of
>	 beverages.....
>
>I would love to know what perry is...the pear version of cider?? some
>sort of pear wine??  nothing to do with pears at all??
>
>Juana Teresa de Salamanca

Dear lady,
Perry is simply Cider with pear juice in the mix, either in part or by
whole. It was quite popular. I've had the good fortune to try some made by
my SCA brother Tigranes, and it's wonderful, powerful stuff.

Does anyone have a reasonable source (commercial) for good, English cider?

Aoife
"Many things we need can wait. The child cannot."
				---Gabriela Mistral, Chilean Poet 1889-1957