SC - Re: turnips

Sharon L. Harrett afn24101 at afn.org
Tue Jun 17 11:32:33 PDT 1997

On Tue, 17 Jun 1997, Mark Schuldenfrei wrote:

>   > De Rutebagae non Disputandum son.  (:-)  Or something very like that.
>
>   My money's on kohlrabi! Though daikon sounds good, too.
>
> Kohlrabi.  Yummm.   I would think it a bit too zesty... but worth
> considering.  (My mother used to be *astonished* at the quantity of raw
> kohlrabi I would consume at one sitting.  And not a tiny bit upset: that
> stuff cost money.)
>
> For those of you unfamiliar with kohlrabi, it is a root vegetable, rather
> ball shaped, and with several stalks arising from various places on the top
> hemisphere of the root.  It is a vaguely "institutional green", and we used
> to peel and slice it into salads.  Taste and texture similar to radishes
> that are slightly sharp.
>
> I have no idea if it is period.  I do know it is delicious.
>
> 	Tibor

Tibor,
	I think it is.
rom what I can find in Gerard's Herbal, there is a "round Rape Cole" listed
and pictured, that looks exactly like a kohlrabi. He says that they grow in
Italy, Spain and Germany, from where he recieved his seeds. They are
accounted as daintie meats, contending with the Cabbage in taste.

Ceridwen