SC - Strawberries

Stephen Bloch sbloch at adl15.adelphi.edu
Wed Jun 18 18:49:07 PDT 1997

> "are strawberries period" and "any recipes?"

Jamey already posted the recipe I was thinking of, the "Strawberye" from
_Two Fifteenth Century Cookery Books_.  A fair number of SCAdians have
tried this one over the years, resulting (as usual) in a wide range of
completely different dishes.  A friend of mine in Calafia did a very
tasty version that she served in a pie crust... I _must_ have her
redaction around here somewhere....

> OOOH - OOOH  What about that "fruit roll-up" type thing?  Would fresh
> strawberries be good for that?

I don't know of period use of strawberries for that sort of dish, but
quinces were certainly used that way.  Indeed, we have probably two
pounds of "quince pastes", which my wife redacts as somewhat thicker
than a modern commercial fruit roll-up, in Ziplocs in the freezer right
now.  I don't want to post her redaction without permission, but it's
basically quinces boiled until soft, mashed, mixed with hypocras spices
and red wine, simmered for a long time (stirring more and more often
as it thickens), then poured out onto a cookie sheet to cool.

					mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib
                                                 Stephen Bloch
                                           sbloch at panther.adelphi.edu
					 http://www.adelphi.edu/~sbloch/