SC - Fried Sage Leaves - "it's a good thing"

Volker AElfwine volker_aelfwine at juno.com
Sat Jun 28 22:36:07 PDT 1997

>I am very new to this list, and would beg forgiveness, But Fried Sage
>Leaves. Sounds interesting. Has a recipe been published here or can
>someone send it to me privately.
>
>--- --- Nicolett --- ---
Well, I have been collecting everything in the couple weeks I have been
on here, so this is what I have, copied verbatim from the original posts:
(PS, I did not write these, and am not claiming that these were from me,
I am simply reposting)

__________________________/\
After posting the sage fritter recipe from _Epulario_ (London, 1598), I
though to go cross-check the Platina version (written in 1475, translated
by Andrews for Mallinckrodt, 1967), since there are often small
differences.  Here it is:

FRICTELLA FROM SAGE

Dissolve meal with eggs, sugar, cinnamon, and saffron, and work it.  Put
in whole sage leaves, as broad as you want, and when they have been
steeped, fry them in a pan with liquamen or a little oil.  This is
nourishing and helps the nerves, although these are slow to be digested
and cause obstructions.

So, there are a few differences, plus the very interesting medical
commentary.

Allegra

> in _Epulario, Or, The Italian Banquet_ (London, 1598) and managed to
> quickly find it. I don't know if this is what your Steward had in mind,
> but it sounds interesting.
>
> Allegra
>
> To make fritters of Sage and Bay-leaues.
>
> Take a little fine flower and temper it with Egges, Sugar, Sinamon,
> Pepper, and a little Saffron to make it yellow, and take whole sage
leaues
> and roule them in this composition one by one, and frie them in Butter
or
> Suet.  Do the like with Bayleaues, and in Lent frie them in oyle
without
> Egges and Suet.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
I wonder if this could be an adaptation of the Frytour of Erbes recipe
out
of Form of Cury (Curye on Inglysch p. 132), although the herbs are ground
in this.

"Take gode erbys; grynde hem and medle hem with flour and water, & a
lytel
yest, and salt, and frye hem in oyle. And ete hem with clere hony."

We have a worked-up version in the Miscellany with sage, parsley,
oregano,
and thyme, but I have thought of trying a version on the assumption that
"herbs" means "greens" in this context.

Elizabeth of Dendermonde/Betty Cook

I hope this helps,

	Volker Aelfwine
	Volker_AElfwine at Juno.com
	Barony of Dragonspine, Kingdom of the Outlands