SC - Italian Torte

Terry Nutter gfrose at cotton.vislab.olemiss.edu
Sun Jun 29 16:08:02 PDT 1997

Hi, Katerine here.  Christina of Riesling asks about a torta:

>The torta is completely encased in a crust and inside are layers of
>cheese (mozzarella, Parmesan, feta), vegetables (spinach, roasted
>peppers, and thinly sliced ham.

I'm no expert of Italian, but here's my first-pass take.  There are
cheese tortas, and spinach ones.  I believe that there's a spinach
torta that calls for cheese.  I know of no layered Italian tortas,
nor do I know of ones with a top crust.  The peppers are new world.
I know of none that call for ham.

If you lose the peppers, it's better than a a lot of stuff that
gets served at feasts.  If you lose the top crust and the ham, better
yet.

Cheers,

- -- Katerine/Terry