SC - Aphrodisiacs

Sharon L. Harrett afn24101 at afn.org
Mon Jun 30 23:57:45 PDT 1997

On Mon, 30 Jun 1997, MS JENNIFER RADTKE wrote:

> Greetings good gentles!
> I am interested in finding out what foods and herbs people in the
> middle ages belived to be aphrodisiacs.  I would also like to know
> what books would be a good resource for this subject.
> Thank you in advance,
> Luveday Tyreman

Luveday,
	The best I can recommend is "The Herbal and General History of
Plants" by John Gerard 1633 copyright 1975 Dover Publications, Inc. ISBN
0-486-23147-X. It is expensive (75.00) and late, but within is covered
nearly every type of plant known by 1600 or so. "The Vertues" of each plant
are listed, with *many* of them supposedly having aphrodisiac qualities.
Gerard often refers to earlier sources for his information. (He didn't
actually write it, but updated an earlier manuscript).
	Good libraries should have it. Good Luck!

Ceridwen