SC - Galingale Liqeur Receipt at last

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at postoffice.ptd.net
Sun Jun 1 05:23:24 PDT 1997

Hi folks. I had a few requests from this news group, so even though it's not
food per se, here's my Galingale Liqeur recipe, and a couple bonuses. I'd
appreciate credit when sharing the recipes with others.

Thanks. BTW, not necessarily period in any way.

Aoife

AOIFE'S GALINGALE LIQEUR

1 tsp. Dried Galingale
1/2 tsp. fresh ginger grated
1/2 inch piece cinnamon stick
1 clove
6 dark raisins
1 1/2 cups neutral spirits
Simple Syrup
Glycerine if desired

Combine all in a non-metal (glass is best) container and seal tightly. Let
steep at room temperature for one week, shaking a few times every day. At
the end of the week, strain and filter if necessary. Add 1 1/2 cups of
simple syrup (equeal portions of sugar and water, heated and stirred until
all sugar is dissolved, then cooled). Add the smoother (glycerine), if
wanted. Let mature for at least 2 weeks before serving. Color may change
through storage (darkening or lightening). This does not affect the quality
of the liqeur.

Variants: Use double the galingale for "Fire Water", or if your galingale is
old. In addition, extra raisins or 2 roughly chopped walnut halves add
complexity. Adjust the amount of simple syrup to your taste and the strength
of your galingale, which can vary considerably.

A few Bonus Recipes:

AOIFE'S RAISIN AND WINE LIQEUR

1/2 cup black raisins
Juice of 1 lemon
1 inch stick cinnamon
1 c. Liebfraumilch wine
1 c. neutral spirits
pinch of ground ginger
pinch of ground cloves
1 1-inch square strip of lemon zest
1 1/2 c. simple syrup OR Mild Honey to taste

Combine the above, except for syrup or honey,  in an airtight container
(glass is best), and let mull 2 weeks, shaking a few times every day. Strain
and filter. Add 1 1/2 cups simple syrur or slightly less Mild Honey, to
taste. Mature 2 weeks

AOIFE'S SAGE AND LEMON LIQEUR

12-14 fresh sage leaves
Zest of one lemon (no white at all)
1 1/2 cups white wine
1 1/4 cups neutral spirits
juice of 1 lemon
1 clove
6 white raisins if desired (for viscosity)
1 cup of simple syrup

Combine all but the syrup in an airtight container (glass is best). Allow to
mull for 2 weeks. Stain and filter. Add the simple syrup and let mature for
about 1 month.

"Many things we need can wait. The child cannot."
				---Gabriela Mistral, Chilean Poet 1889-1957