SC - Mediterranean Feast

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Jun 3 11:16:58 PDT 1997

At 10:11 PM +0000 6/2/97, Rhianwen wrote:

>AHEM! :)  There are a couple of dishes I serve that there's *never*
>enough of - one is hummus (a chickpea/garlic/lemon puree) with pita
>bread, greek olives and feta cheese; and the other is falafel (the
>original Arab veggie burger).

Have you found a period recipe for either of those yet? I haven't. Chick
peas and sesame are used in medieval islamic cooking, but I don't think I
have seen anything that is obviously tahini, let alone an actual hummus bi
tahini ("Hummus" just means "chick pea") or falafel recipe. I have found a
"counterfeit isfiriya of garbanzos" (the Andalusian cookbook) which is at
least in the right direction for falafel.

David/Cariadoc

David Friedman
Professor of Law
Santa Clara University