SC - Vinegar/verjuice

Sharon L. Harrett afn24101 at afn.org
Wed Jun 4 16:04:47 PDT 1997

On Wed, 4 Jun 1997, Catherine R Auslander wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Jun 1997 10:37:31 -0400 (EDT) "Sharon L. Harrett"
> <afn24101 at afn.org> writes:
> >

> >Greetings all;
> >	Can anyone provide me with documentation on the methods of
> >making
> >vinegar or verjuice in period? I have many references to their use,
> >but none
> >on their manufacture.
> >
> >Ceridwen
> >

> 	to that end, could someone explain to me what verjuice is and can
> vinegar be used as an alternative?
>
> -Aislinn...:)

Aislinn,
	What I have gathered so far is that verjuice is the juice of unripe
grapes, crabapples, green wheat, cherries, or even sloes, pressed out and
perhaps fermented. It was used to sharpen dishes and as a pickling liquour.
Some of the recipes I have gone through have suggested it can be
interchanged with vinegar, others us it with vinegar and yet others alone. I
have found its most common usage to be used in cooking and saucing fish,
fowl, and game.

Ceridwen