SC - Period Recipes

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Jun 5 00:58:05 PDT 1997

At 5:18 PM -0500 6/4/97, maddie teller-kook wrote:

>Well...spaghetti is OK provided it isn't served with marinara sauce and
>meatballs--grin. (After all, it is rumored Marco Polo brought some back
>from China--grin)
>

>Meadhbh

Unlikely, since pasta show up in medieval recipes roughly contemporary with
Marco Polo, and in Middle Eastern recipes substantially earlier.

Of course, spaghetti is a particular kind of pasta. The description in
al-Baghdadi's rishta recipe isn't clear enough to say that it is
spaghetti--I normally do it as a flat noodle. I think one of the Islamic
pastas gets described as threads. Does anybody have an earliest reference
that is clearly spaghetti?

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/