SC - SC--Forget the Philosophy and COOK, Dammit :)

Sharon L. Harrett afn24101 at afn.org
Fri Jun 6 07:23:32 PDT 1997

On Fri, 6 Jun 1997, L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt wrote

> Now: a FOOD question:
>
> I once read an MS that gave instuctions to "carve a radish in manner of a
> rose" or some wording remarkably similar. I can't find it now, but seem to
> remember it was French. Anyone remember this? Anyone else come across
> directions to  carve vegetables to look like other things? I'm wondering how
> old the garnishing art is. I'm not talking about sweets and sotelties here,
> just veggies and fruits.
>
> Enquiring minds need to know.
>
> Aoife

In "Tales of the Table, A History of Western Cuisine" by Barbara Norman,
there is reference in the chapter "the Dark and Middle Ages" to the idea
that the carver was an officer of high rank, usually a knight, and that
carving was part of a squire's education. She indicates that many books were
written to serve such instruction. The only two mentioned by name are
"L'Escole Parfaite des Officiers de Bouche" (1676) and "Arte Cisoria" (1423)
which was written by the Marquess of Villena, carver to the King of Spain.
	The carver was not only to carve, but to taste, and to know which
sauces were to be served with each dish. The verb for "to carve" was
different for each meat served... rabbits were unlaced, crabs tamed,
peacocks disfigured and hens spoiled!
	I have come across the reference you mentioned along with many
others. Seems the art of garnishing was another one of those things taken to
extremes in the high middle ages. I remember another reference to "the Boke
of Kerving" but don't have it handy
	Gods! I'm ahving visions of a carving contest.......what fun!!!!!!
Anyone else have additions to the info I've found?

Ceridwen