SC - medieval Italian salads

Uduido at aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Fri Jun 6 15:25:00 PDT 1997

<< Are you saying  that the empty bowl is rubbed with garlic >>

Yes, I'm sure that is what he is saying.

 <<Definitely a different effect than "modern"salads. It seems like most
 of the garlic taste would end up on the bowl and not in the salad >>

Actually I have many mundane sald recipes of the "herbed" version that tell
you to rub the bowl with a garlic clove. This provides a wonderful aroma and
just a hint of garlic with out the harshness of chunks in the sald itself.
The Frugal Gourmet, Galloping Gourmet and Julia Childe all recommend rubbing
the green sald bowl with raw garlic. As for the oil, etc. About this I have
no KNowledge.
 Stefan li Rous >>