SC - barbecue beans

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Fri Jun 6 16:10:40 PDT 1997

>> Fried Beans and Onions. Saute onions in oil, add kidney
>>beans, ginger, cinnamon and another sweet spice. Heat. The onions, beans
>>and sweet spices make a tastey mix and the dish is good hot or cold.

>So not only are fruit rollups period, so are barbecue beans w/onions?  Neat.

Umm.  I don't think you can assume that from the info given. I think I
would want to see the original recipe. This sounds like someone's
redaction rather than a translation. For instance, are kidney beans
period for pre-17th century Europe? It was my understanding from listening
to various people that they weren't. Barbecue fava beans? Uck.

Anyone know?

Stefan li Rous
markh at risc.sps.mot.com

PS: I'm not saying this dish wouldn't make a good camp dish. Just that
I don't think it should be assumed to be period.