SC - Period Recipes

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Jun 7 05:52:31 PDT 1997

david friedman wrote:

> At 12:56 AM -0400 6/7/97, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:
> >Dottie Elliott wrote:
>
> Green peas are the fresh, new variety of this pea, as
> >opposed to the dried form.
>
> I'm not certain, but my memory of McGee's discussion was that our green pea
> was a variant of the old world pea which was harvested immature. I don't
> think it was clear when its use started. I believe the modern term for the
> non-green version is "field pea," but I could easily be wrong.
>
> David/Cariadoc
> http://www.best.com/~ddfr/

Sorry! I may have caused some confusion: what I should have said that
what is referred to as green peas in period recipes is the fresh, new
variety of this pea, etc. I understand our standard modern green pea was
developed in France in the 17th-18th century or so...

As regards field peas, it had been my understanding that they are the
same thing as cow peas, and, again, similar to the black-eyed pea, and
that they came to places like the Carribean and the American South via
Africa. Whether they are indigenous to Africa or came from South America
with the Rest of The Usual Suspects I don't know offhand. That would be
kind of an interesting line to pursue.

Adamantius