SC - LONG Rambling-No content

Uduido at aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Wed Jun 11 16:43:13 PDT 1997

<< Here's the relevant bit. Since we've done the documentation to death on
this
 one, this is just our version, as adapted from the many sources: >>

You know I've been cooking in the SCA for several (10) wonderful years and
when I read the post above Something amazing struck me like a sledgehammer!
:-0 I don't know if any one of the 5 year or more cooks have noticed it or
not, so I'd tho't I'd share this with them.

We, my dear friends, have succeeded in "re-creating" a cooking style that is
becoming common cuisine in not a few homes. Our combined efforts have brought
Medieval Cusine to a level where we are no longer re-creating single dishes
from a few written documents. We now take those basic recipes and share our
individual versions of it much as we share our favorite cake recipe or BBQ
 sauce secrets. We feed this food to our family regularly. Why? Because
Medieval  style food is damn good!

When we go to events we actually "taste" every dish, and beg and grovel at
the cook's feet for a copy of this recipe or that recipe. We listen to all
the cooking "show" personalities, such as Lord Duke Coriadoc of the Bow , and
many others. We sign up in droves at war for classes in "Medieval Roasting
Techniques" or "A History Persian Milk-11th-12th Century C.E.".. Always
looking for that perfect period recipe. And when we do a feast we use those
collected and wonderful recipes (e.g. Lord A's Cheese Goo and Lady B's
Armored Turnips)..

In among all of those period-like recipes we insert 2, or if we feel
particularly couragious, 3 new redactions that we, personally like a lot and
would like to share. :-) Next, we execute a Feast. And, then we wait in
almost total silence, as several score of hungry people, friend and stranger,
chow down. And as we wait, we start to see the pleased faces; to hear the
sound of laughter and good will; the clanging of cups raised in joyful
toasting; plates and bowls emptying magically.

You retreat to a place of calm and stillness, among your dirty pots and
greasy floor, when your name rings out. Exhausted, you sit there knowing that
if someone wanted you bad enough they could find you. Chairs scrape across
the floor of the dining hall, thunderous applause and loud vivats waft into
your solitude. You sigh, a smile comes across your face, and for a moment you
wonder what you missed. But quickly you remember, as you nibble on a morsel
of bread, that noone who came to your feast will go back to their castle
hungry tonight. For another brief moment in time, your brothers and sisters,
the Barons and Kings, Lords and Ladies,  have been able to step back in time
and for that brief moment the Dream is real.

And, that, IMHO, is what makes SCA cooking so worthwhile. :-)

Yours in service to the Dream,
Lord Ras (Uduido at aol.com)