SC - cc:Mail Link to SMTP Undeliverable Message

Frank Welsh fwelsh at primavera.com
Sat Jun 14 06:34:09 PDT 1997

- --simple boundary

Message is undeliverable.
Reason: Unable to access cc:Mail Post office.
	Please retry later.
Original text follows:
- ---------------------

- --simple boundary

From: Uduido at aol.com
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 21:16:35 -0400 (EDT)
To: sca-cooks at eden.com
Subject: SC - Grapes
Sender: owner-sca-cooks at eden.com

<< There is a HUGE Concord Grape vine(s)  growing in my new backyard. I was
 told by neighbors that it yielded gallons of grapes last year.
 Does anyone know of anything within period that these could be used for?
 All the talk of cordials/liqueurs has me hoping. Same neighbor made 23
 bottles of wine from them.

 Thanks ahead of time,
 ~Lady Irissa

 Sorry. The Labrusca (concord) grape variety is New World no questions, do
not pass go, do not collect $200.oo. :-) More appropriate varieties would be
Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Grigio, Gewurtzraminer, Zinfandel (questionable),
Sauvignon Blanc, Valipolicella (species unknown to me), Riesling, Chardonnay,
Sangoivese, Chamborcin, Merlot, etc.

The Labrusca grapes (e.g. Concord, Catawba, Niagra) are without exception New
World varieties and were not used in Europe until the late 1800's C.E. They
were then only used (as they still are) for root stock on which to gratf the
European varities to prevent further dessicration of the vineyards by the
Phyloxera plague. (Which by the way is currently destroying the vineyards in
California at an alarming rate).

More to the point the foxy taste of New World labrusca varieties is totally
alien with regards to the flavor of Old World varieties and can notbe
satisfactorily substituted under any circunstances.

Lord Ras (Uduido at aol.com)

- --simple boundary--