SC - Egg White Whipping Techniques

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Jun 15 09:11:53 PDT 1997

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt wrote:

> Actually, I remember Adamantius paying fleeting attention to beating
> eggwhite with a strainer when I was fairly new to this list, several months ago.
>
> Could we please have a little more detail about the process (and perhaps a
> repeat of the anecdote, about confounding some famous Chef de Haute Cuisine
> with the process?).

Actually, there were two. I had such a good time being discovered by
Wayne Nish casually pumping egg whites through a china cap while making
a Spoon Bread, if I remember correctly, that I managed to corner David
Bouley a year or two later. David Bouley is arguably the best chef on
the East coast of the U.S., and looks almost exactly like Lumiere the
candlestick in the Disney "Beauty and the Beast". Sounds like him, too,
except I always expected him to begin singing about ze night zey
invented champagne (POP!). He was impressed with proof that something so
sensible could have come from the kitchens of England, until I pointed
out that these English folks were probably Normans anyway, at which
point he said something like "Oh. Well zat explains eet." Actually
Bouley has ALMOST no noticable French accent, which is a bit odd because
I believe that he was born and raised in Connecticut, of French-speaking
parents. You'd think he would either have one or not, but he seems
unable to decide.

Anyway, enough of this out-of-period stuff. I think I explained the
whole thing about running the egg whites through a strainer in pretty
fair detail earlier today. The only problem is that I find it hard to
keep track of the two nearly identical running threads on two separate
mailing lists. So, are we O.K. on this issue? I can either repost or
rewrite if I ended up sending the info to the wrong place. Please just
let me know.

> ---Aoife, who will forgive the cheese jokes, if she's
> given a favored response ;^D

What cheese jokes would those be? If I have offended, as Bouley might
say, "Quel fromage!" ;  )

Adamantius, ducking a wicked cheddar fastball...