Re(2): Re(2): SC - Caffeine in period

Gretchen M Beck grm+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Jun 16 05:44:56 PDT 1997

Excerpts from internet.listserv.sca-cooks: 15-Jun-97 Re: Re(2): Re(2):
SC - Caff.. by Stephen Bloch at adl15.adel
> Yes, 1579 is technically within the SCA's period, but if we have no
> idea how (or even if) it was consumed by humans, and it was only found
> in one or two isolated places in Europe at that time, we can't really
> conclude from that that "chocolate is period".

Actually, I think you can build a pretty good logical argument that
chocolate was consumed in Europe at the end of period, even if you can't
document how:

1. Cacoa was known to Europeans since the beginning of the 16th C.

2. Cacoa was consumed by Europeans in South and Central America in period.

3. Some of said Europeans travelled back to Europe. In fact, my online
encyclopedia says "Hernan Cortes introduced the drink to Spain upon
returning from his Mexican expedition (1519)"  Not great as
documentation, but I bet, given time, I can track down the reference.

4. Cacoa was recorded as being imported into Spain in period.

5. Is there any known use for cacoa other than chocolate before a
process was discovered to extract the cocoa bean oil?  I've never heard
of one.

Given that, I think it's fair to say that chocolate was consumed in
Southern Europed (possibly only Spain and Portugal) in late period, but
that we don't necessarily know with what recipe.  It is most definately
incorrect to say "chocolate is not period"

toodles, margaret