Re(2): SC - Re: turnips

Sue Wensel swensel at brandegee.lm.com
Tue Jun 17 11:25:12 PDT 1997

>For those of you unfamiliar with kohlrabi, it is a root vegetable, rather
>ball shaped, and with several stalks arising from various places on the top
>hemisphere of the root.  It is a vaguely "institutional green", and we used
>to peel and slice it into salads.  Taste and texture similar to radishes
>that are slightly sharp.

>I have no idea if it is period.  I do know it is delicious.

>	Tibor

I wouldn't necesarily call it a "root vegetable" as the ball rests on the
ground.  I always thought it tasted like a really mild cabbage heart, though I
can see how you might describe it as radish-like.  I wonder if that is caused
by different growing conditions?

I like it in salads, soups, stir frys, basically anywhere you want cabbage
flavor but not wilted leaves.

Derdriu