SC - Feast Themes/gingerbread

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Jun 19 14:42:57 PDT 1997

Mark Schuldenfrei wrote:

> This is probably a good time to remind people that modern confectioners
> sugar is adulterated with non-period ingredients, generally.
>
>         Tibor

To wit, cornstarch. Seems as if the modern dusting with confectioners'
sugar as a sort of lubricant would have been done with an oiled marble
stone and wet hands, in period. Partly this would have been because it
was very difficult to make fine powdered sugar by hand. I speak with the
authority of one who made about two pounds of marzipan in a big stone
mortar at a demo a few weeks ago, using whole blanched almonds and a
block of sugar.

Adamantius