SC - Grains of paradise

Terry Nutter gfrose at cotton.vislab.olemiss.edu
Sun Jun 22 10:28:26 PDT 1997

Grains of Paradise is a spice, also called melegueta pepper; the botanical
name, if I remember correctly, is afromomum melegueta.  As the name indicates,
it is generally peppery in flavor, but it is also complex and wonderful.  I
use it regularly in modern soups and stews, and other things too.

The following are some of the spice sources I've collected that carry many
of the spices we need.  I believe that most of them, if not all, carry grains
of paradise.

PENN HERB CO., Ltd.
603 North 2nd Street, Philadelphia, PA 19123-3098
Phone number: 1-800-523-9971.

Aphrodisia
282 Bleeker St.
NY, N. 10014
(212) 989-6440)

Penzeys, Ltd.
P.O. Box 1448
Waukesha, WI 53187
(414) 574-0278 8am-6pm Central Time

The Pepperer's Guild
c/o David Chesterson
777 N. Greenbrier Dr.
Orange, CT 06477
dchesty at ix.netcom.com

Franscesco Sirene, Spicer
R.R. #2,
Site 38
Comp B.O.
Peachland, B.C. VOH1X0

In Atlantia, you can also get grains of pepper from Miriam at Herbals and
Oddities.  She does mail order, but unfortunately, I no longer have a current
address for her (and would be grateful if someone could forward one).

Cheers,

- -- Katerine/Terry