Re(2): Re(2): Re(2): SC - mustard history

Sue Wensel swensel at brandegee.lm.com
Mon Jun 30 10:35:41 PDT 1997

 ------ From: sca-cooks at eden.com, Mon, Jun 30, 1997 ------

Adamantius wrote:

>Your view seems to be more along the lines that a certain gaminess might
>have been pretty common in unrefrigerated meat, and that a judicious hit
>of spice might help overcome that gaminess, which some people don't care
>for. I agree with that, but the L.A. Times author specifically used the
>word "spoiled", which even Markham wouldn't use.

Actually the word I believe Markham used was "tainted."  I will need to look
it up at home to determine precisely how he used it, but it struck me that he
was talking about meat that was reaching the end of its safely edible period.
You may be correct in your assertion that the taint he was speaking of was
what we call gamey.

I believe that the common misconception about period food (which I have heard
the opposite -- that period food was fresher than we eat now) is due to the
inability of people to image how food would have been kept without
refridgeration.  No one seems to wonder how we discovered such processes as
salt-curing or smoking meat.

Derdriu