SC - Cooking in a Period Environment

KandL Johnston woodrose at malvern.starway.net.au
Mon Jun 30 18:44:12 PDT 1997

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt wrote:
I also (with much anxiety, as it was my
> first totally period camp meal) made our dinner with an open spit, and a
> nifty cast iron trivet thingy attached to the spit's upright that held my
> pots over the flame. I am a new woman with a new goal! I want to do some
> historical cooking with the appropriate environment and tools. So here's my
> question:
>
> How many of you have attempted to make your "camp cooking" period---not just
> the recipes and ingredients, but the fire irons, the pots and pans, the
> beehive ovens and the open . spits. etc?

Yes, Yes, Every year at Easter we hold a comping event, and many of us
experiment with this, and it is really a treat. Fire port of Iron and
clay, open spits have cooked everything from roast and vegies, to baked
cheese cakes and fritters/torts.

This year we hope to get some kind of oven, but type is undecided.

> It's extra work,

Not a lot if your camping anyway

>  I really want to
> try a small event (perhaps our household of 40-odd) with no (or few) modern
> conveniences. Can anyone offer me some advice?
And we have held feast for 50 people with 6 cooks, a fire minder (very
important person, knows where hot, cool and medium heats are) and one
camp cook fire.

> Thanks in advance

Willing and able to help at all times

> "Many things we need can wait. The child cannot."
>                                 ---Gabriela Mistral, Chilean Poet 1889-1957
Totally in agreement on this point and well said.
 --- Nicolett ---
  I'm the cook, Rudolf is the mean fire minder.

- --
Rudolf von der Drau and Nicolette Dufay
Baron and Baroness, Stormhold

. . .But our mums know us as