SC - Watermelon

Uduido@aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Thu May 1 19:17:47 PDT 1997

> Okay folks here's two questions that I feel rather dumb about.
>
> Firstly,  Aelfric peeled several cloves of garlic that we had lying around the
> house after a feast and put them in an airtight container filled with cooking oil.
> After a few days I went to get a couple of cloves out and the entire concoction
> started bubbling and fizzing!  Any ideas what is going on?  Have we created garlic
> champagne? "Brothers! Come quickly! I think I'm eating stars!"

Me, I would be very suspicious of this.  I have read (although I don't
remember where) that storing garlic and other things in oil like this
is not exactly the safest thing in the world.

> The other is from a posting (I think by Ld. Ras) where he put several dates into
> a hollowed out watermelon and let them rehydrate in the juice.  This sounds
> wonderful but is watermelon period?  I thought it was New World.  I would love it
> if I could use this recipe.

I do know that melons are old world although I don't know about
watermelons specifically.  Lord Ras did, however, attribute his recipe
(though not the redaction) to one of Duke Cariadoc's collections, so I
would be inclined to trust it.

> Yers,
>
> Gunthar

Alys