SC - ccMail SMTPLINK Undeliverable Message

ccMail SMTPLINK SMTP-CCMAIL_ADMINISTRATOR at hudsmtpro03.hud.gov
Fri May 2 00:15:07 PDT 1997

>I have also seen at least two period paintings where watermelons are clearly
>depicted and of course, the recipe I posted was taken from Coriadoc's
>"Collection of Medieval and Renaissance Cookbooks> "The Baghdad Cookery Book"
>which translation clearly states watermelon.
>
>Lord Ras

Watermelon is period, but you have to be a little careful about deducing
what is period from translations, given problems both with the translators
and with changing meaning of language. For example, "pumpkins" appear in
old world cuisine--but they aren't the big orange Cucurbita pepo that we
call "pumpkin." "Corn," of course, means maize to a modern American but
grain to a period (or modern) Englishman. And I saw a translation of Ibn
Battuta which referred to peppers, in context vegetable peppers, in North
Africa in the 14th century. I don't know what Ibn Battuta actually
mentioned, but it wasn't capsicum, which is New World.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/