SC - Yolks vs whites

Philip W. Troy troy at asan.com
Fri May 2 05:48:51 PDT 1997

Message undeliverable at this time

 Original text follows
To: sca-cooks at eden.com
Subject: SC - Questions
From: kathe1 at juno.com (Kathleen M Everitt)
Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 07:59:56 EDT
Sender: owner-sca-cooks at eden.com

I just picked up a copy of The Secret Life of Food by Martin Elkort at my
local Library. I haven't had a chance to really look at it yet, but
glancing through it I saw some interesting information on foods and when
they were introduced. The bibliography for further reading lists two
pages of books such as Tannahill's Food in History and books like
Extraordinary Origins of Everyday Things, but I can't tell if these are
what he bases his research on or if he used primary sources and is just
suggesting these to casual readers. Has anyone read this book? Is it
accurate?

One reference he made in the first chapter caught my eye. He says that
the first cookbook printed on a printing press was Kuchenmeisterey
(Cooking Mastery) printed in Nuremberg in 1485 and that 56 editions of
this book were printed. Has anyone heard of it? Is it available in
English Translation?

Thanks.

Julleran