SC - Watermelon

Dottie Elliott macdj at onr.com
Fri May 2 06:50:51 PDT 1997

david friedman wrote:

> Note that Digby is about fifty years out of period, Markham somewhat less.

Noted. I only mention these sources because they represent a style and
level of technology substantially unchanged from what is seen in the
late 16th-century sources, but seem to be more commonly recognized by
most SCAdians. Personally I prefer Fettiplace, another marginally OOP
source, and there is some quite astounding (by Western standards) sugar
technology in "Goud Kookery". Of course, it all boils down to halvah,
so... ;  ) .

> I suspect you would find similar things in the late sixteenth century, but
> I don't know that cuisine very well. You could look at Hugh Platt.

Yup. See above.

> Alys Katherine (MK) has looked into some of these question and would be a
> good person to check with. She does elaborate sugar paste plates, which are
> presumably a closely related technology.

In some respects yes, and in some respects no. Sugar plate is generally
not a cooked product, as far as I can tell. But yes, she would probably
know quite a bit about period cake decoration. Perhaps she would be kind
enough to address this question, since I believe she reads this list.

G. Tacitus Adamantius