SC - Question(long,Iamsorry)

Sabia sabia at unm.edu
Sat May 3 13:46:54 PDT 1997

<HTML><BODY>
Uduido at aol.com wrote:

<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>In a message dated 97-05-02 02:29:29 EDT, you write:
<BR>
<BR><< Semi-serious:  *is* there any edible use for potato sprouts?
I don't eat
<BR> potatoes often, but this winter succumbed and bought a sack.
I stored
<BR> them in a cold, dark cupboard.  And forgot them.  Spring
has sprung,  >>
<BR>
<BR>DO NOT EAT ANY PART OF THE POTATO PLANT EXCEPT IT"S TUBERS!!!!!!!!
<BR>The vegetative part of the potato is DEADLY poisonous! It is a member of
the
<BR>same family as deadly nightshade and the Jerusalem Cherry both of which
are
<BR>poison. This also is true for tomatoes , green peppers and Eggplant, the
<BR>ddifference being that the fruit may be eaten but all other parts of the
<BR>plant contain nasty poisonous alkaloids. The dannger is not that you may
get
<BR>sick and may die. The danger is that you WILL get sick and the probability
of
<BR>death would be high.
<BR>
<BR>Sorry for ranting........
<BR>
<BR>Lord Ras
</BLOCKQUOTE>
     If I am not mistaken, the same can be said for
any green on the potato itself.  I contains oxalic acid, which at
the least can make you quite sick.  This is why they should be stored
out of the light, and picked up as soonas they are dug.
<BR>    If all of the green is cut away before use, the potato
is ok, but as stated in the previous post, never the vegetative portion.
<BR>
<BR>Rant away, Lord Ras. It is important.
<BR>
<BR>Morgan
<BR>
<BR>