SC - Lagenaria

Uduido@aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Sat May 3 14:38:03 PDT 1997

> Please do!  I have never seen a white gazpacho, and I am intrigued!
>
>    Alys of Foxdale          Shire of Stierbach, Kingdom of Atlantia
>  mka Sallie Montuori               Chantilly, Virginia, USA
> foxdale at wolfstar.com

	Ok, first sorry I am so slow to get back to you, second, the
following recipes are Not redacted by me, and are from modern cookbooks,
but the citings they list are'nt bad.

1} The Spanish Cookbook by Barbara Norman, Bantam Books/Atheneum
Publishers 1967.
This one I haven't tried yet the next one works wonderfully.

	Ajo Blanco Con Uvas(Malagan Gazpacho)
		4-5 servings

	1 1/4 cups raw scalded almonds      2 medium cloves Garlic
	white part of four slices bread(soaked in wine vinegar and squeezed)
	4 cups ice water                    2/3 cup olive oil
	7 to 8 peeled white grapes per serving

	Using a mortar, pound almonds with garlic and bread, gradualy add
	olive oil, strain, and stir in ice water. Serve very cold with
seven or eight peeled white grapes in each soup plate.   If you use an
electric blender, mix all ingrediants except grapes simultaneously untill
almonds are ground as fine as possible; strain and serve as above.

{2} The Foods & Wines of Spain by Penelope Casas, Alfred A Knopf New York
	1987

Gazpacho Extremeno(white gazpacho)  serves six

	1 egg                			1/4 teaspoon sugar
	4 slices white bread crust removed   	2 tablespoon red wine vinager
	7 tablespoons olive oil			2 tablespoon whitewine vinager
	2 cloves garlic peeled cut in 1/2       salt
	1 green pepper, seeded cut in strips    1/2 cup ice water
	2 small Kirby cucumbers, or 1 cucumber  chopped cucumber and pepper
 	  peeled and cut in chunks            	  for garnish and croutons

			Vegetable Broth (3 cups)

	place the egg in the bowl of a processor or blender, beat until
light colored. Soak the bread slices in cold water. Squeeze throughly to
extract most of the moisture.  With the moter running, add the oil to the
processor in a thin stream, then add the bread, garlic, green pepper,
cucumber, sugar, red and white vinagers, salt, and pepper.  Blend until
no large pieces remain.  Beat in 1 cup of the broth, strain the mixture
into a large bowl pressing with a wooden spoon to force through as much
as possible.  stir in the remaining 2 cups of broth and the ice water.
Add more vinager and salt if desired. Refrigerate several hours or
overnight, then serve very cold with chopped cucumber, green pepper, and
croutons.

	If there is a conflict with the peppers (are any green peppers
period) then they can be dropped with out too much substituition, and I
did not find it necessary to add extra vinager, but most people in this
area (al-Barran) don't seem to be used to vinager.  it had mixed results,
as many people want soup hot, or were taken aback by the wonderful green
this comes out.  Those who like green, really liked it.

If interested check this book out for other varities of this dish (casas)

Sabia at unm.edu