SC - Mushroom Recipe

Uduido@aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Sat May 3 14:58:41 PDT 1997

> I bought the plant because of its name and because it has really pretty
> blue-green foliage. Silly me, I assumed it was edible and I put a sprig of
> it in some soup I made. It didn't taste badly and I guess it isn't deadly,
> 'cause I'm still here. It also has an pleasant odor.

Well, since you are still here, I would assume that you are not
allergic to it, and that one sprig in soup is not enough to poison
you.  Either that, or what you purchased as rue is not ruta
graveolens.

> I'm still not sure, though, why it is associated with sadness if it has so
> many allegedly beneficial uses.  Mrs. Grieve describes the taste and odor
> as unpleasant, but I don't agree.

Jekka McVicar also describes the taste as "incredibly bitter."

> I am unfortunately a person who suffers from a lot of allergies. Now I'm
> wondering if I should just give the damned thing away. But then, I could
> use protection from the plague.

Did you purchase the plant for cooking with, or just because you liked
the thing?  It is a fairly attractive plant, from the pictures in my
herbals.

> Are you saying then I shouldn't ever eat the stuff?

Be very careful with it, and keep in mind that many people will prove
more sensitive to it than you apparently are.

> Am I going to rue the day I bought this plant?  ;-)  It only cost about
> four bucks - I just like the idea of having a plant with such a symbolic
> name.

Then by all means keep it.  But it is best enjoyed from a distance, in
my opinion.

> Helisenne

Alys