SC - Questions

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Sun May 4 20:39:23 PDT 1997

I can't imagine that rue is all that poisonous - it is sold in the nursery
right next to the thmye and lavendar. I personally would not describe the
taste as bitter or unpleasant. I would describe it as more like pungent, a
little like cilantro.

Boy is there a lot of folklore associated with this herb! I've recently
devoloped an interest in gardening, so naturally I had to buy a zillion
books on the subject, including more than a few on herbs. Rodale's
"Illustrated Encyclopedia of herbs", IMHO is more useful for folklore than
gardening advice. Fascinating stuff is included on the herb "rue". A few
tidbits follow:

Aristotle said it eased  nervous indigestion when eating before
foreigners.The Roman Pliny said it improved eyesight. Indeed Leonardo da
Vinci and Michelango hundreds of years later are said to have used it to
improve their own second sight. (And they were hardly stupid!)

But most of the folklore seems to involve tales of rue's anti magical
characteristics. It was considered a reliable defense against witches and
the plague. Did you guys know it was an early model for the suit of clubs
in playing cards?

Rodale also relates this anecdote called "Vinegar of the four Thieves".

"During the Great Plague of London in 1665, as many as 7,000 people were
dying each week.  In this plague, as in others that swept Europe, herbs
were used in unending combinations and applications to cure the infected
as well as to ward off disease. ....A red cross was painted on the doors
of homes where a plague death had occurred, providing a warning to the
wary and a signal to the unscrupulous.  Among the latter was a band of
thieves, who, fortified by drafts of an herbal vinegar, stole from
corpses..Rue was a primary ingredient. Mixed into a gallon of red wine
vinegar were 1-1/2 ounces each of rue, sage, mint, wormwood, and rosemary;
2 ounces of lavendar flowers; 1/2 oz. of camphor; and 1/4 oz. each of
cinammon, cloves, garlic, and Calamus aromaticus."

Sounds like good salad dressing to me...
I wonder if they drank it straight up.

OK< regarding its toxicity, Rodale says, " Large doses can cause violent
gastrointestinal pains and vomiting, mental confusion, prostration, and
convulsive twitching.  It should never be taken by preganat women as it
can trigger abortion...Overexposure to sunlight after ingesting rue can
result in severe sunburn..."

"Brother Cadfael's Herb Garden" gives more rue-ology. "Rue, a strong
aromatic herb, was used to give a bitter flavour to foods and alcoholic
drinks, especially grappa.  It was also added to salads <bitter like
arugula?>....The expression 'rue the day' comes from the custom of
throwing a bunch of rue in the face of one's enemies while cursing
them...<I can't tell whose custom this was. Islamic, maybe. Or Christian?
Poor writing here.>The rue was also worn for luck and as protection
against witchcraft....It was also hung inside houses to repel insects..
Listed by Aelfric, the plant was used in perfumes anc cosmetics."

Additonally, David Hoffman's "The Complete Illustrated Holistic Herbal"
says that its main use is the regulation of menstrual periods, where it
is used to bring on suppressed menses...the easing of spasm gives it a
role in the stopping of spasmodic coughs... If fresh leaf is chewed, it
will relieve tension headaches, ease palpitations and other anxiety
problems."

Of course, unless you believe in holistic medicine, you can disregard the
above.

In summary, all the works I consulted seem to agree that it can definitely
cause abortion during pregnancy and certain skin irritations among
allergic persons. However, IMHO, since there is such a large body of
folklore associated with it, the herb must have been fairly widely used
and just can't be all that toxic. Check out the recipe I cited above for
suggested quantities used in one particular potion.
And please don't blame me if you get sick from etaing it, cause I'm
certainly no expert here.

As far as the allergic reactions go, I think there quite a few herbs and
other plants that fall into this category. I have even known people who
are sensitve to garlic, poor souls. And strawberries, And avocados. Ad
infinitum.

 So rue is defintely a period herb, perhaps more used in
medicinal preparations than culinary, though not exclusively so. I ate an
entire sprig in my ignorance and it didn't do a thing to me. But then I'm
not pregnant (thank god).

By the way, I am new to this list and I keep wondering if someone is
going to flame me for writing of an herb that has largely medicinal uses.
Is it OK? Well, if they can write of pizza topped with pineapple on the
Caid list....

Helisenne