SC - Re: Mushrooms - Thank you!

Lasairina@aol.com Lasairina at aol.com
Sun May 4 21:33:35 PDT 1997

I am unfortunately a person who suffers from a lot of allergies. Now I'm
wondering if I should just give the damned thing away. But then, I could
use protection from the plague.

Are you saying then I shouldn't ever eat the stuff?
Am I going to rue the day I bought this plant?  ;-) <<<

Helisenne,

Keep the plant.  Don't eat it. If you need to touch it, use rubber
gloves, or protect your hands by using a paper towel to pull off dead
leaves.  Run and stand next to it at the next plague alert.   ;-)

I've looked it up in several of my herbals, and it is eaten raw in salads
[in small amounts] in Italy, drunk as a tea, and used in other ways, many
medicinal, although not used as often in the USA as formerly.  Caution
against using when pregnant is in every book.  There are several
varieties, some stronger than others.  It is apparently best handled and
used, if at all, sparingly and with great caution.  Recommended as an
attractive garden plant.

Keville, Kathi.  _Herbs, An Illustrated Encyclopedia_  [A complete
culinary, cosmetic, medicinal and ornamental guide].  Barnes & Noble,
Inc.  1997.  ISBN 0 7606 0486 4.

Ody, Penelope.  _The Complete Medicianl Herbal_ [a practicle guide to the
healing properties of herbs, with more than 250 remedies for common
ailments].  Dorling Kindersly, NY, 1993.
ISBN 1 56458 187 X.

Grieve, Mrs. M.  _A Modern Herbal_ (vol II, I-Z and indexes) Dover
Reprint, NY 1971.  Harcourt, Brace & Co., NY, 1931.

Allison