SC - Watermelon

Mon May 5 11:59:40 PDT 1997

On Friday May 2, Allison asked:

>Adamantius,

>What, exactly, is long pepper?  I am allergic to all peppers so haven't
>investigated this, but I ought to know about it as it appears in so many
>recipes, and I could have a fellow cook add it after I'd sampled the
>pepperless version.

I'm not Adamantius, but perhaps I can help with this question. The following
excerpts are from my spices-msg file:

Stefan li Rous
markh at risc.sps.mot.com

- -------------------------
        Long pepper is just that...known as Indian long pepper, Jaborandi
pepper or Roman long pepper (Piper longum) I have been looking for a
source for it and as of yet have not recieved any. though I continue to
look..  You might want to try Cubebs....or tailed pepper...(Piper cubeba)
also known and used in period...they ahve a unique taste that is hard to
describe , but wonderful.
        In the East, we have the peppers guild, who has all of the period
spices you might need.  Though here in NYC we have a mutitude of spice
stores where they may be purchased...If you have trouble finding them or
have more questions....feel free to contact me.....at
<jfideli at suffolk.lib.ny.us>   I have been working on a book of period
spices for approx 5 years...slow going....

                    Lord Xaviar the Eccentric
- --------------------------
Aphrodisia in N.Y. city had it recently, and I presume still does.

David/Cariadoc
- --------------------------
 We have Grains of Paradise and Cubebs and
Galangale and we THINK we have found a source for Long Pepper -- UPS is
winging it to us even as I type.

You may write to The Pepperer's Guild c/o David Chesterson, 777 N.
Greenbrier Drive, Orange, CT  06477.  You may also send me an e-mail and
we'll forward an Order Form either via e-mail or snail mail.

Our prices are almost wholesale -- we are a volunteer organization and we
do not make a profit on any of this.  We just want to get medieval spices
out to those folks who want to try to redact recipes.

Yours in Service,
Alexandra of Dragonford
- -----------------------
Greetings from Eden of Lionsguard, in the Barony of Madrone, kingdom of AnTir

boy do I ever know a source for you
We call him "Tony the spice guy" and he's wonderful,  he carries both types
of cinnamon, long peppers, grains of paradise - you name it, Tony can get
it, the only question is whether or not he'll sell it to you.   Tony
refuses to sell stale/old spices, so sometimes things are out of season and
you have to wait a while...
Have fun!
Eden

		World Spice Merchants (tm)
	"Gourmet Spices & Teas From Around the Globe"
Downtown Seattle between Historic Pike Place Market and Pike Hillclimb
	1509 Western Avenue, Seattle, WA 98101
V:206.682.7274 F:206.622.7564 EMail:hill at worldspice.com
<end>