SC - Please send subscription information

Deb Hense debh at microware.com
Tue May 6 12:53:34 PDT 1997

At 02:59 PM 5/5/97 -0400, Mark Schuldenfrei wrote:

>  Cantalopes originated in southern Asia, India to be specific. Cantalopes
are
>  period.
>
>Western Culture.  See previous rants.  (:-)

The earliest reference to "Cantalope" that my OED gives is 1839.  It could
be that the very specific variety of melon called a Cantalope is not period.

Ny Natural History book lists Cantalope and Musk Melon as Cucumis Melo.
Presuming that musk melons and cantalopes are the same thing then
Cantalopes are period as the OED does give period (1573 and later) usages
of musk melon.  Additionally the word "Melon" is defined as "A name common
to several kinds of gourds, esp. the Musk Melon"  Usage of this word dates
to 1387.

Jean Louis de Chambertin
Barony of Madrone - An Tir