SC - "Fabulous Feasts"

Thu May 8 08:16:47 PDT 1997

<< Has anyone ever seen or heard of fresh capers?  Do recipes ever call
 for them? >>

In the 9 years  that I have been cooking in the SCA I have personally never
seen, read, or came across reference to capers being used in any way, shape,
or form in period recipes, food descriptions or other culinary informatiion
from the period. As to the general question of "fresh" capers, since they are
flower buds, IMO, they would be far too fragile to market in fresh form. The
vendors loss from spoilage would far outweigh any gain.

Lord Ras