SC - Hello & Questions

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu May 8 14:04:29 PDT 1997

  > Note that Digby is about fifty years out of period, Markham somewhat less.

  Noted. I only mention these sources because they represent a style and
  level of technology substantially unchanged from what is seen in the
  late 16th-century sources, but seem to be more commonly recognized by
  most SCAdians.

Adamantius, this may not be as true as one might hope.

At least in brewing.  My friends (Morgaine and Muiredach) wrote an article
on brewing history, showing that Digby was instrumental in the introduction
of the sealed bottle.  As anyone can figure, a bottle is more air-tight than
a cask, and there is a resulting impact in recipes, sugar residuals, aging,
and carbonation.  Making Digby brewing recipes substantively different in
result than period ones.

This does not imply that his cooking techniques have also evolved past the
period ones.  But it is a small indicia that there is the possibility of
change.

As they frequently say about Digby in terms of brewing, "Digby is not just
post-period, but 3 generations post period.  Lots of things change in three
generations."

	Tibor (The more I learn, the more cautious I get)