SC - Moors

Stephen Bloch sbloch at adl15.adelphi.edu
Thu May 8 19:20:27 PDT 1997

Alix Mont de Fer writes:

> PAYN RAGOUN (Curye on Inglysch, p.113)
>
> 1/3 c. sugar
> 1/3 c. honey
> 1 c. pine nuts
> 2 t. ground ginger
>
> Bring sugar and honey to a boil, stirring constantly. When it reaches the
> point that a drop in cold water holds together, remove from heat. Stir in
> ginger and pine nuts, and stir until it starts to harden. Turn out on a
> wet surface. When cool enough to handle, form into a log. Slice and serve.

We used the following proportions and directions:
2 C sugar
1 C honey
1 T powdered ginger
1 C pine nuts

Heat sugar and honey to firm ball stage (c. 250 degrees).  Remove from fire;
stir in pine nuts and ginger and stir until mixture thickens.  Pour into
greased 8" x 8" pan and let cool.

The first time we tried to serve it, it was at a potluck meeting in
wintertime, and we found that on the way to the meeting the stuff had
reached approximately carborundum hardness.  As it warmed to room
temperature, it gradually softened enough for us to hack off a few
gobbets, which were quite tasty.

					mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib
                                                 Stephen Bloch
                                           sbloch at panther.adelphi.edu