SC - Plaintive whine about sourcing...

Karen Farris farrisk at macom.com
Mon May 12 08:44:34 PDT 1997

  I was thinking of something like the arrangement in "To the King's Taste"
  An original: "Take sawge, parsel, ysope and savray...
  A translation: Take sage, parsley, hyssop and savory...
  A redaction: 1 tsp dried sage, 1 c chopped parsley, ...
  With the redactor given full blam////credit.
  Obviously, I can't do this in every case, but I'd like to stay as close
  to this as possible.

This is the format I have found most useful when using other reference
books.  Especially if the results include some discussion of how the
redactor went from original to translation to redaction.

  Got it!  Include page and recipe numbers wherever possible.

Important.

  One last note; Several (not all) submitters included one line as to where
  the dish had been served recently, e.g King Soandso's Coronation, etc.
  A few are somewhat vague, "Served at Pennsic XX".  Is this information
  actually useful?

Barely at all, especially if the book has "staying power".  Do you think
that, in 5 years, I will care?

	Tibor