SC - Pynson book in Longleat collection

Terry Nutter gfrose at cotton.vislab.olemiss.edu
Mon May 12 16:46:56 PDT 1997

Glad to know I'm not the only one whose dandelions have little red ... er
.. thrips.
 ----------
From: sca-cooks
To: PETERSR; sca-cooks
Subject: Re: SC - Dandelion Wine
Date: Monday, May 12, 1997 4:45PM

Sender: owner-sca-cooks at eden.com

<< Just to bring up a kind of gross point, every time I've looked closely at

 dandelions, they've been inhabited by little bugs (I think red ones), I
 assume some kind of mites.   >>

They are a type of thrip. They are harmless to the wine and to people. Since
you have to remove the green part of the dandelion flower and good kitchen
technique would include a rinsing of the petals after they were picked and
cleaned, the vast majority of these thrips are eliminated. I also throw my
petals into a wire strainer while removing the green parts from them which
allows the thrips and other sources of potentially valuable protein  8-) to
slip through the holes.

Lord Ras