SC - Pynson book in Longleat collection

Kimib2@aol.com Kimib2 at aol.com
Tue May 13 14:30:51 PDT 1997

Philip E Cutone wrote in response to me:

> Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com> writes:
> > It is fairly modern,
>
> On this, i must object!  In my copy of "Domestroi", which originally
> was written in 17th cent ( i think... perhaps early 18th) kvass is
> talked about. (and i believe a description for making it was given as
> well) Ok, not period, but not "modern" :)  (you may have been refering
> to the recipe, rather than the drink, in which case, i apologize.)

Yes, the recipe I used probably dates from the late 19th, early 20th
century. Specific quantities were given on things like malt, sugar,
etc., so I think that the level of alcohol I ended up with was what the
original author intended. What I got, as I say, was along the lines of a
small ale, roughly 2 - 3% alcohol.

> Modern day Kvass is more like Period Ginger ale or root beer, according
> to some friends from Ukraine and russia.  They say it comes in big
> tanker trucks you go up to (supplying your own cup) and pay for a
> fill.  Kids, adults, etc all drink it, which leads me to believe the
> alcohol content is minimal. They say it's best when it's "fresh" (a
> couple days old) which also leads me to believe it's more like a soft drink.

My recipe also says you should drink it pretty quickly. I found that it
was OK after being in the bottle about 4 days, and deteriorated after
that, and then got interesting again after two or three months.

Hot cha cha

Adamantius