SC - Stefan's files for June

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Fri May 16 12:34:37 PDT 1997

  Now for the question .I'm getting married in September and would like to make
  preserves or a jelly of some kind as favors. What I need to know is how
  period are preserves and jelly? Also what types of fruit would have been
  used? One last thing does anyone have recepies or redactions?
  Thank you all for time .

There is in "The Queen's Closet, Opened" (as referenced in "Take A Buttock
of Beef") a receipt called for Quiddony of Quinces or Pears.  As I redacted
it, it made a rather thick preserve of Pears, and worked as well with
apples.  Give that the recipe talks about using it to preserve fruits for
winter, I would have no qualms about substituting in almost any fruit known
to later period England.

I do not have my redaction to hand.  Sorry.

	Tibor