SC - Period sausages

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat May 17 20:36:13 PDT 1997

<< Lord Ras, is it possible that the sources you have been looking at are
 primarily just for the upper class and thus would miss the use of butter by
 other classes in/on food?

Yes, this is not only possible but accurate. Since SCA personas are "noble"
theoretically I tend to avoid/ignore sources that do not pertain to that
class.

 <<I remember some arguments in previous years on whether "honey butter" was
 period at all. If even "herb butter" and butter were not period, what was
 eaten on bread? Anything? >>

It is my "belief" that olive oil was used as a bread spread when anything was
used at all. My research indicates that the majority of time bread was not
eaten as is but rather was used as sops or dipped into tthe liquid portions
of meals or consumed dry without additional additives. The "period" style
bread recipes that I have personally redacted tend to be rather heavy in
texture and are not unpalatible when eaten by theirselves.

This is really rather interesting and I would be grateful for others input as
this particular question (the way bread was normally consumed during period)
has been an object of deep interest to me for several years. Perhaps
Adamantius or His Excellency, Duke Coriadoc could shed some further light on
this intriguing question.

Yours in service to the Dream,
Lord Ras al Zib, AoA, OSyc  (Uduido at aol.com)