SC - Questions??

Konig Brygarre konig1 at juno.com
Tue May 20 20:18:24 PDT 1997

> In a message dated 97-04-15 03:32:13 EDT, Sabia writes:
>
> << 	In my area of al-Barran, there seems to be a high number of
>  allergies to nuts, how common is this elsewhere? >>
>
> I have had one gentle ask me if there were peanuts or peanut oil
> used in my feast.  One other resident here had an allergy to
> walnuts.  Other nuts were fine, but not walnuts, or walnut oil.
>
> Mistress Aldyth
> Aldyth at aol.com

I'm allergic to all nuts except peanuts and pine nuts (one's a
legume, the other, as I understand it, a different genus).

Somewhere in my archives I have a newspaper article about a gentleman
who died of a histamine-induced heart attack after consuming two
walnuts and one brazil nut.

Nuts, according to the allergist that diagnosed me, are one of the
most common food allergens, after tomatoes and shellfish.

The "oilier" nuts like walnuts and brazil nuts tend to cause more
severe reactions than "dryer" nuts like almonds in most people

Some people are allergic to other things about nuts besides the nuts
themselves.  One of my proteges is deathly allergic to a type of mold
that grows only on peanuts and is largely undetectable to the palate.
 Hence, no Thai food for her.  :-)

When making things with nuts, I a) label clearly and b) make about
half of whatever it is without nuts.  This is not a purely selfish
move, but a response to others who have allergies to nuts and to
those who just don't like them.

Because peanuts are legumes, most people who are allergic are
allergic to one or the other--*either* peanuts or "tree nuts".  I've
never personally met anyone allergic to both.

Countess Berengaria de Montfort de Carcassonne, OP
Barony of Caerthe
Kingdom of the Outlands